In public telephone booths it can be used coins and special cards that are for sale in Telecom Portugal shops, post offices and in some kiosks and tobacconists (each one properly identified).
If you already have a mobile phone you can use roaming or buy a prepaid SIM card. You may also do a contract.SIM cards are available in major Portuguese mobile telecommunications operators:
Vodafone Portugal: http://www.vodafone.pt/
When opening a bank account, in any Portuguese bank, you must submit the following documents:
• Tax Identification Number (TIN) issued by the Portuguese Tax Offices;
• ID document (passport);
• Proof of residence;
• Proof of survival means or shcolarship.
With the opening of a bank account, you will be entitled to a debit card that will allow handling the account in agencies or electronic boxes or and also make payments and purchases.
Banks are opened on Monday through Friday, from 8:30 to 15:00 and closed on weekends and public holidays.
• January 1st – New Year’s Day
• March / April (optional) – Carnival
• March / April – Good Friday and Easter Day
• April 25th – Freedom Day
• May 1st – Labour Day
• June 10th – Day of Portugal, Camões and the Portuguese Communities
• August 15th – Day of the Assumption of Blessed Virgin Mary
• December 8th – Immaculate Conception
• December 25th – Christmas Day