The Masters in Healthcare Information Systems Management main purpose is to train professionals with scientific expertise in the field of medical informatics and its application in the management of healthcare information systems.
MGSIM results of a partnership between the Polytechnic Institute of Leiria (IPL) and the University of Oporto (UP), specifically with the Faculty of Medicine of Oporto. The degree is granted and recognized together by the IPL and UP.
It consists of a 2nd cycle formation offer, encompassing a total of 4 semesters and 120 ECTS credits. The last year (the 3rd and 4th semester) can be one of the following possibilities: a) thesis, a scientific study; b) an applied project; c) internship in a public or private, Portuguese or foreign institution.
- Holders of a bachelor’s degree or legal equivalent in the areas of Health Informatics, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Biomechanics, Health Equipment Technologies and related areas;
- Holders of a foreign higher degree of education conferred by a first Cycle of studies organized according to the principles of the Bologna Process by a State adhering to this process in the areas of Health Informatics, Computer Engineering, Engineering Electrical, Biomechanics, Health Equipment Technologies;
- Holders of a degree of foreign higher education that has been recognized as fulfilling the objectives of a degree in the areas of Health Informatics, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Biomechanics, Health Equipment Technology, Council of Scientific-Technical School of Technology and Management (ESTG);
- Holders of an academic, scientific or professional that is recognized as attesting the capacity to carry out this cycle of studies by the Scientific-Technical Council of the School of Technology and Management (ESTG).
The structure of the Masters’ in Healthcare Information Systems Management is divided into two distinct phases. The first phase provides a solid education that allows the acquisition of skills in specific areas of healthcare information. In this phase, lasting two semesters, students have theoretical-practical courses. In the second year of the programme, the students undertake a research on a specific theme (scientific thesis), or be able to compiled into an Internship/Research Project, enabling them to use and further develop professional and technical skills. If the students prefer an Internship, they may do so in the organization where they work as long as they find an interesting set of goals for both sides. The project can also be linked to the work that the students develop in their organization. The internship can be either in a Portuguese or foreign institution.
1st year, 1st semester
|Research Methods and Scientific Writing||TP – 20||3||Mandatory|
|Statistics and Operational Research applied to Medical Informatics||TP – 45||5||Mandatory|
|Organization and Management of Healthcare Systems||TP – 30||5||Mandatory|
|Strategic Management of Medical Information Systems||TP – 45||5||Mandatory|
|Project Management for Healthcare Informatics||TP – 30||4||Mandatory|
|Electronic Health Records||TP-35||5||Mandatory|
|Next Generation Communication Networks and Services||TP-20||3||Mandatory|
1st year, 2nd semester
|Clinical Decision Support Systems||TP-50||5||Mandatory|
Standards in Medical Informatics
|Security of Clinical Information Systems||TP-30||5||Optional|
|Biomedical Image Processing||TP-30||5||Optional|
|Logistics and Management of Health Services||TP-30||5||Optional|
|Thesis / Internship (1) / Project||1620 (TP – 30)||60|
(1) In the second year the student may choose from an internship, a project or a scientific thesis. If he opts for the Internship, it may do so in the company where he works as long as he finds an interesting set of goals for both sides. The project can also be linked to the work that the students develop in their organization.
Why choose this program?
Healthcare Informatics is the intersection of information systems, computer science, management and health care. Aspects related with the resources, devices, and methods require optimizing the acquisition, storage, retrieval, and use of information in healthcare and biomedicine. Healthcare Information Systems Management master results of a partnership between the Polytechnic Institute of Leiria (IPL) and the University of Oporto (UP), specifically with the Faculty of Medicine of Oporto. The Master’s programme seeks that the holders of this master’s degree acquire the following skills: 1) Development of an electronic medical record; 2) Development of systems to support clinical decision; 3) Use the standards applied internationally in healthcare information systems (HIS); 4) Plan the safety of HIS; 5) Development of new generation services in healthcare; 6) Knowledge in the fields of image processing techniques biomedical and bioinformatics; 7) Operations management and logistics of healthcare facilities; 8) Strategic management of HIS; 9) Project Management.